As the most popular female comic superhero, there’s no doubt that Wonder Woman is an icon. But did you know that God’s Word has a Wonder Woman too? She’s known as The Proverbs 31 Woman, and she, too, is a symbol for women.
The Proverbs 31 woman
But the Proverbs 31 Woman does not fly through the skies at supersonic speeds with super agility, clad in a skintight hot pants version of the American flag. She does not wield truth serum in the form of a golden lasso. She does not possess superhuman strength and stamina, nor does she engage in hand-to-hand combat with superior weapons. She represents what we as women should strive to be.
Some years ago I received a book by Elizabeth George titled Beautiful in God’s Eyes. As I paged through this book, pondering about this Proverbs 31 Woman, this wonder woman, I discovered that she’s:
- a woman of character and value
- loyal and good
- thrifty, hardworking and enterprising
- a provider
- confident, diligent, merciful
- a craftswoman, a creative professional, a home maker par excellence, an excellent Home Executive who manages her household well
- wears a wardrobe of virtues
- has vision and an eager attitude
- knows how to control her tongue
- speaks life not death
In a nutshell: she’s a blessing, deserving to be crowned Wonder Woman because she is simply . . . wonderful.
And how does she do it? Through her faith and reverence for God.
You’ve probably heard some of the ‘Behind Every Successful Man’ quotes, like:
- Behind every successful man is a strong woman
- Behind every successful man is a surprised woman
- Behind every successful man is a proud wife and a surprised mother-in-law
I’d like to think however, that behind every successful man is a Proverbs 31 Woman.
Do you know an inspiring woman, a Wonder Woman? Beauty for Ashes would love to hear all about her— who she is, how you interact with her, and the reason she’s such a woman of influence in your life.