May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance. – 2 Thessalonians 3:5
I spent almost two decades in Asia where haggling for a good price was a sport. I loved the thrill of going back and forth with the shopkeeper until I wore them down and I was walking away with a bargain. My parents told me that even as a child if I was convinced of something I would never back down. My husband agreed. Some would call that being stubborn but I like to call it being persistent!
Persistence is the main character trait in many a Bible story
Persistence is the main character trait in many a Bible story which proves to me that God values it.
- Matthew records that when two blind men sitting by the road heard that Jesus was passing by they began to shout for mercy. The crowd tried to hush them but they shouted even louder! As a result Jesus stopped and asked them what they wanted. They told him they wanted their sight and in the next blink of an eye, they were seeing! (Matthew 20:29-34)
- Bartimaeus was a blind beggar who hollered until Jesus heard him. The crowd told him to ‘STOP!’ but Jesus told him to ‘COME!’ He threw his coat off and ran in the direction of Jesus’ voice. Jesus opened his eyes and Bartimaeus became a Christ follower (Mark 10:46-52).
- A distraught Mom came to Jesus because her daughter was possessed by an evil spirit. She fell at his feet and begged unashamedly for Jesus to intervene. He assured her he had and when she returned home her daughter was free of the demon (Mark 7:24-30).
- Jesus tells a story about a widow who wouldn’t leave a judge alone until she got the protection she needed from an adversary (Luke 18:1-5).
- Jesus tells another story about a neighbor who continuously knocked on his friends door at midnight until he got bread to feed an unexpected guest (Luke 11:5-8).
Jesus responds to persistence
Desperation breeds either despair or persistence. I choose persistence because the alternative is unthinkable.
Jesus responds to persistence.
Blind eyes were opened and demons were cast out!
Justice was granted and provisions were supplied!
Jesus wants us to persevere as he persevered for us!
He doesn’t want us to give up or give in. In fact he honours those who keep asking, seeking and knocking.
My sister, don’t let anyone or anything muzzle your cries!
Start expecting the miraculous!
Be prepared to be amazed!